Please know that everyone here at the USA Hockey Association is thinking about all of our hockey families during this challenging time.
It is important that we remain in touch and while we we can't do that physically, we have heard of many creative ways our hockey players are doing just that, through virtual means.
Stay safe and healthy and we look forward to when this is all behind us and we can get back to the sport we all love. Our Association will be back on the ice as soon as things are safe for us to do so, and we look forward to that day.
We will continue to provide updates as they happen. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us or your coaches for any questions you may have.
USA Hockey Association
The MAHA executive committee and directors spoke Tuesday night. Not much new to report. Cancelling spring hockey was discussed, since the governor has a date of April 12 to review the current health situation, MAHA is sticking to that date. If and when the governor moves the date, MAHA will review and determine the next steps. MAHA is not going to give a hard date for fall tryouts until the governor provides a date. Steve Stapleton believes when a date is provided, there may be restrictions on the number of people that can gather.
Several USA affiliates are pushing for USA Hockey to allow coaches/teams to make offers for the fall team to players on the existing roster. I will keep you posted.
Summer meeting is still a go as of today. If there are restrictions on the number of people for gatherings, it may be cancelled.
Winter meetings will be held January 9/10 in Livonia.
MAHA D4 Chair
MAHA posted the message below on 3/24/2020
On Monday, March 23, the Governor of Michigan issued an Executive Order in Response to COVID-19 to, “Stay Home, Stay Safe” until April 13.
This has caused all the rinks in Michigan to temporarily close and suspend all activities. Many rinks in Michigan have temporarily taken their ice out to reduce expenses during this time. They will need time to restore their facilities once the Executive Order is lifted to be able to resume normal operations. Some rinks have stated they may not be putting ice back in until the fall season, which means associations and teams looking for spring / summer ice may need to find other nearby facilities to use.
The MAHA Executive Board met on Tuesday, March 24, to discuss tryouts for spring and fall teams that had been previously scheduled or postponed until April 7, 2020. USA Hockey has given its Affiliates authority to make decisions, based on current events and local circumstances, during the pandemic.
Therefore, effective immediately, the MAHA Executive Committee is prohibiting any tryouts, formation of teams, offering of contracts, recruiting, etc., for ALL USA Hockey Member programs in the Michigan Affiliate (a.k.a. everyone) until further notice. This includes all levels of Youth and Girls hockey, for which tryouts were originally to take place in either March or April.
MAHA will monitor issues related to the COVID-19 Pandemic and will provide direction on when tryouts and related activities will be able to begin. Once it is clear when these restrictions will be lifted, and when rinks will be able to resume operations, a new date will be set.
We are sure having to pause these activities is difficult for everyone, but, we urge you to continue to follow the advice of our healthcare professionals and stay healthy. We look forward to welcoming everyone back to hockey just as soon as we are able to. We will do our best to stay on top of this ever-changing situation and continue to adjust to meet the healthcare guidelines, and to provide a safe environment for our participants.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in the matter.
President / Travel Questions
Motor City Hockey - Learn to Play Hockey
Bantam (14U) - Walt Bartels - Contact